Doulas support women and birthing people during pregnancy, birth and in the early post-partum period. They are a trained professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to a mother before, during and shortly after childbirth to help her achieve the healthiest, most satisfying experience possible.
As your doula, I walk alongside you and support you in exploring your options and gaining information and confidence. No one knows your body and your baby better than you!
This is your pregnancy, your birth, your body, your baby. You make the decisions and choices!
According to the information leaflet from Doula UK there is evidence to show that having a doula can mean:
• Reduced risk of Caesarean birth † *
• Reduced risk of instrumental birth †*
• Reduced need for painkillers or epidural during birth †*
• Reduced rate of induction of labour †*
• Shorter labour †
• Increased parental satisfaction with the birth experience †
• Increased likelihood of initiating breastfeeding *
• Increased likelihood of successfully establishing breastfeeding
& breastfeeding at 6 weeks *
*Brigstocke S. MIDIRS Midwifery Digest, vol 24, no 2, 2014, pp 157-160
† Hodnett ED, Gates S, Hofmeyr G, Sakala C. Continuous support for women during childbirth. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 7. Art. No.: CD003766. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003766.pub5